Tuesday, August 28, 2018

God is our Refuge


God is our Refuge
Refuge. Not a place to live in, but a place to run to.  For King David this meant running from death threats and raging emotional turmoil. For Mary and Joseph it meant a humble cave where animals were kept. 

Here is what the thesaurus says for refuge: peace, safety, asylum, haven, hideaway, hideout, hiding place, protection,  resort, retreat, sanctuary, security, shelter, stronghold.

When I think about those that need refuge I imagine war torn countries, and children in the midst of famine. But that is not all. I see mom's inundated with activities, schedules, and the strain of holding safe the hearts of their children. Also, men that struggle to be great dad's and be good at their jobs. Students navigating grades, social life and activities. 

Maybe the refuge is from worry and self-doubt. The effort to keep going in life when the road ahead seems blank and empty. 

Yes, we all need a refuge from time to time. Pastor Greg's sermon was on how God is our refuge. 

I immediately began to visualize what my refuge would look like if it was a real place. The strong walls contained the verses Greg mentioned in his sermon. The phrases written in the stones include strong tower, salvation, secret place, help in the time of trouble, a place of rest, hope, no fear, deliverer. 

This is where I go by prayer and meditation on verses. But often I find my refuge in things I love to do and God is with me there, too.

In my imaginary place of security I've drawn books, paint and canvas, comfy pillows, and even kids. I've drawn in my young friend that sits with me during the service. He loves to create along with me. Children's refreshing hearts and amazing capacity to love, give me joy. Nature comes through the window, because this brings me peace. Flicka and Zathras, my two labradoodles, bring comfort and laughter into my sanctuary.  

At the top of the walls scary worries try to crawl over. My young friend tells me to draw a snake, too. They are scary. God keeps them out with his sturdy rock castle, so I can rest.

As much as I would like to stay in this cozy cocoon, I have a calling to venture into the fray. Thanks for the refreshing stay, Lord. Now give me the vision and strength to serve you in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment